st: Re: Heckman specification

Subject   st: Re: Heckman specification
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:05:05 +0100

As I understand the literature on the -heckman- procedure, it is customary to have different sets of covariates for the two equations in the two-step model, i.e. the selection equation should have an additional covariate over the outcome equation. See "MUS" http://www.stata.com/bookstore/mus.html, 16.6.5, page 546.

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Johanna Avato" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 8:57 PM
Subject: st: Heckman specification

Does anyone know whether it is mandatory to have the same variables in both equations in the heckman two-step procedure (plus the iv in the selection equation) or is it possible to drop one variable from the selection equation only? I have a model where one variable causes major collinearity problems in the selection equation.
THanks.