st: RE: RE: What is the best way to handle embedded spaces

From   "Sutton, Bennett W." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: What is the best way to handle embedded spaces
Date   Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:44:34 -0500

This works as long as I don't insert line returns ( /* */ ) but I can
live with that.

Thank you very much!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: What is the best way to handle embedded spaces

A similar problem came up only yesterday. You need to use compound
double quotes in defining your macro.

Sutton, Bennett W.

Seems that stata 10 is having a problem reading the first element of my
local with embedded spaces:

.                 local PrivIssuer "Finance vehicle-Priv sector
bank/finance" "Finance vehicle-Priv sector indust/util" /*
>                         */ "Private Other" "Private sector bank"
"Private sector finance" "Private sector industrial" /*
>                         */ "Private sector utility"

.                 foreach type of local PrivIssuer {
  2.                         display "`type'"
  3.                         replace issuertype2 = 1 if issuertype ==
`"`type'"'
  4.                 }
Finance
(0 real changes made)