RE: st: N way fixed effects

From   Zhihong Yu <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: N way fixed effects
Date   Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:17:20 -0000

Dear Stata List Members

I have a panel data on agents' trade record , with the value of trade as
main interested variables, which is denoted as Y.

Y varies with the following dimensions :

1. i:  agent id (over 10,000)
2. t : year (10 years)
3. j : product (over 1000 categories)
4. k: means of transport (e.g. by air or by train , 10 categories)
5. l : method of payment ( e.g. cash or check , 4 categories)
6. m: market ( over 100)

Let X denote the characteristics of the markets , such as population ,
income .

I want to estimate a model as following

Yitjklm=Xm+ai+bt+cj+dk+el+Vitjklm

That is to say , how the value of trade depends on the market
characteristics , controlling all the other dummies.

The main problem is the massive number of categories of products i.e.
cj, and ids i.e. ai.

So my first attempt is to

iis agent id , then demean Y and X by product , finally xtreg the
demeaned Y on demeaned X , with fe

But when I try this on a small sample , comparing this method with those
from xtreg,fe with product dummies controlled, I find the results are
very different.

Could help me with this : (a) what is the correct way to implement this
estimation (b) why the demeaned method has a problem ?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Zhihong