st: fastest norm() ?

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: fastest norm() ?
Date   Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:58:36 -0600

which of the Mata matrix norms is the fastest one? The default
norm(,2) is probably the slowest one as it relies on singular values
decomposition, an O(n^3) operation for a n \times n matrix. Other
norms appear to be O(n^2) or maybe O( n^2 log n) computations (the
latter with p=1 or p=. due to max operation) -- is that right? I am
doing something iterative where I am using norms a lot, so I want the
fastest thing around there. As long as they all generate the same
topology on the space of matrices, I am fine with either :))