Re: st: data management - string function

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: data management - string function
Date   Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:29:50 -0500

Hi,

I just hope that this program will not manage banking accounts,
otherwize someone like Dr Mroz
(http://www.unc.edu/~mroz/index_files/vita_mroz_2007_August%5B2%5D.pdf)
will loose all his savings. The program should be very careful about
replacing the combinations of letters. When there is no guarantee,
that "Mr." is always spelled with a dot (like in the original data
sample in the first email in this thread) spaces should be
incorporated, but even then there is no way you can be sure that Mr is
not a lastname. E.g. the common Asian last name "Ng" (e.g.
http://www.drdavidng.com/contact_us.html) would not qualify many naive
validators (very short, no vowels). Perhaps in some languages "Mr" is
also a name, lastname or a middle name.

Also the choice of titles should probably be wider, to allow e.g. for
Dr., Prof., Col., or any combination of these (which can occur in
multiple combinations like "The life and activities of Col. Prof. Dr.
Jezdimir STUDIC"  here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14447887?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed)

Some of the titles are listed here:
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Groups/AI/TitleGeneratorTitles but more
extensive lists can be found in the internet.
Careless replacing of "Master", "Marquis" or "Baron" might leave some
of the people in your list without a lastname.

The only way to be sure about the title is to ask for it separately
while collecting the data.

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Ashim Kapoor <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> replace gender="F" if gender=="Mrs"
> replace gender="F" if gender=="Ms"
> replace gender="M" if gender=="Mr"
> replace gender="M" if gender=="Mrs"
>
> Trouble , what if you have Mr. ( notice the dot ) in place of Mr
>
> So we do
>
> replace gender="F" if gender=="Mrs."
> replace gender="F" if gender=="Ms."
> replace gender="M" if gender=="Mr."
>
> I think this should do it.
>
> Merry Xmas to you.
>
> Ashim.
>
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Ashim Kapoor <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I think you want to do this :--
>>
>> gen j=var1
>>
>> gen j2=subinstr(j,"Mrs","",1)
>> gen  j3=subinstr(j2,"Mr","",1)
>> gen j4=susinstr(j3,"Ms","",1)
>>
>> Note  the order of j2 and j3 , it is needed because we have Mr as as
>> subsitring of Mrs. It would be ruined if you did it the other way.
>>
>> I hope you liked it.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Ashim.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM, b. water <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> dear all,
>>>
>>> stata 8.2, windows xp,
>>>
>>> i have a data management problem: have a variable (strings) of names like these:
>>>
>>> var1
>>> Mrs A Jones
>>> Mrs Anne Jones
>>> Ms Abra Ham
>>> Mr Ko Jack
>>> Jack Kroll
>>> No Probs
>>> Ms. Abra Ham
>>> Mr. Ko Jack
>>> . <- denotes missing
>>> .
>>> .
>>> Miss. Wonder Full
>>> Mrs Bond Trader
>>>
>>> i want to generate new variable which removed the person's title, so it appear like these:
>>>
>>> var2
>>> A Jones
>>> Anne Jones
>>> Abra Ham
>>> Ko Jack
>>> Jack Kroll
>>> No Probs
>>> Abra Ham
>>> Ko Jack
>>> . <- denotes missing
>>> .
>>> .
>>> Wonder Full
>>> Bond Trader
>>>
>>> i tried (thinking that i would slowly truncate Mr, Mrs, Ms title by title):
>>>
>>> gen var2=var1
>>> replace  var2=subinstr("Mr","Mr","",.) <- just as well i generate var2 as this command wiped out all the names!
>>>
>>> i want to also generate another variable that will assign gender based on the title of the name in var 1 i.e. if Mr or Mr. then M(ale) and if Mrs, Mrs., Ms, Ms., Miss, Miss. then F(emale). i thought generate/replace or replace/if using string functions would help but i think this require loop of a sort to achieve.

>>> F
>>> F