Re: st: not sure about my loop results

From   Michael Foster <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: not sure about my loop results
Date   Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:52:42 -0500

good morning,

at least without seeing the data, i can speculate that this seems rather
complicated to me.

if you have data like these

family   sib    age
1          1       4
1          2      7
2          1      8
2          2      9

in that case , you could do the following
bys family (age): gen sibage=age[2] if _n==1
bys family (age): gen sibage=age[1] if _n==2

you could collapse this down to one line
bys family (age): gen sibage=(age[2]*( _n==1)+age[1]*( _n==2))

if you had more than two sibs per family, i would probably work with
-reshape-
(especially if you had varying numbers of kids in the family)

is this not what you wanted to do?

/michael