st: RE: revised -outfixt- on SSC

From   "Prashant Shukla" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: revised -outfixt- on SSC
Date   Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:41:46 -0000

Hi Austin,

I have been trying to use the revised -outfixt- and am having some
problems. When used without the -format- option it gives perfect
results, i.e., all the columns are at their respective places but the
formats are not the way I want them so I have to use the -format-
option. Below is a sample statement:

quiet outfixt  a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p using  "filename",
replace cols (1 4 12 20 28 36 46 56 68 83 93 123 138 146 151 153 )

However, when I introduce the -format- and -flist- option, the resulting
columns are not where I want. For instance, the second column does not
start at position 4 instead there is a gap of 4 spaces between the first
and the second columns and the after that none of the columns are in
their respective positions. Below is a sample statement again:

quiet outfixt  a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p using  "filename",
replace cols (1 4 12 20 28 36 46 56 68 83 93 123 138 146 151 153 )
format flist (%3s %8.0g %8.0g %8s %8.0g %10s %010.6f %09.0f %015.6f %10s
%30s %015.6f %8s %5s %2s %8.0g )

Also, FYI, there are columns which are prescribed to be longer than the
elements that they actually contain, i.e. column with a width of 30 does
not necessarily have an element that long. And there are some blank
columns too. But this did not matter when not using the format. Why is
the introduction of -format- changing things now? Is it not possible to
just use the formats from Stata without having to list the format for
each of the variables in the -outfixt- command? Please shed some light
on this. Thanks so much,

-Prash.