Re: st: rcal, measurement error model question

Subject   Re: st: rcal, measurement error model question
Date   Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:18:34 -0500

Richard Valliant <[email protected]>:
I'm pretty sure -rcal- does not do what you want, which I think is
regressing e1 on e2 while specifying the measurement error variance
for each observation on both e2 and e1.  It seems from the paper I
reference that -rcal- will only use the first element of your diagonal
matrix as the assumed error variance for e2, which you can see
directly by doing something like:

clear
drawnorm e1 v1 e2 v2, n(30)
replace v1=exp(v1/10)
replace v2=exp(v2/10)
mkmat v2
mat D = diag(v2)
mat d=D[1,1]
rcal (e1=) (w: e2), suuinit(d)
rcal (e1=) (w: e2), suuinit(D)

Maybe something like this works for your example (but I hope others on
Statalist will weigh in):

su e2
loc e2var=r(Var)
su v2
loc v2var=r(mean)
loc r=(`e2var'-`v2var')/`e2var'
eivreg e1 e2 [aw=v1], r(e2 `r')

but note that above I am making no use of the
individual-observation-specific error variances you have.