st: RE: How to know how a global macro was generated: -smr- as an example

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to know how a global macro was generated: -smr- as an example
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:39:23 -0000

I guess I lay down the law on what is, and what is not, good practice so
frequently that I should be the last one to demur about somebody else
doing that.

But I don't accept, personally, that all users who write Stata software
have an obligation to explain the formulae they use, even indirectly by
referencing. That is Utopian and impractical. (What if the references I
give do not explain all the ideas that I use, which will be very
common?)

That aside, one good practice not followed here is to explain where the
(user-written) code discussed comes from.

STB-29  sg29.1  . . . Tabulation of observed/expected ratios & conf.
intervals
        (help smrby if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . P.
Sasieni
        1/96    pp.21--24; STB Reprints Vol 5, pp.87--90
        improved version of smr

Looking at -smrby- I note that

1. -smrby- itself does not define any globals.

2. Just before they are used, -smrby- calls -_crccip-.

3. _crccip.ado is part of the Stata distribution. Commands whose names
begin with _crc are short utilities written by the Stata developers.
(CRC is the abbreviation for the original name of StataCorp.)

4. So look inside _crccip.ado.

Tiago V. Pereira

Not rarely I almost drive myself crazy because several Stata commands
fail
to provide info about the formulations they use to compute
variances/standard errors in their calculations.

I have already claimed that most Stata packages should provide