st: AW: Placing a non-missing value at beginning of a block

From   Jochen Späth <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: Placing a non-missing value at beginning of a block
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:00:52 +0100

Hello Thomas,

just a few lines to suggest:

*********
egen groupvar = group(n pvalue)
local i 1
	while `i' < 'maximum length of gaps' {
	count if groupvar == .

		if `r(N)' > 0 & `r(N) != . {
		replace groupvar = groupvar[_n+1] if groupvar == .
		}
	local i = `i' + 1
	}

count if groupvar == . /* should be 0 after the loop*/

*********

Now you have a grouping variable and moving the pvalues from one observation to another should not be too difficult.

Hope that helps,
Jochen
Jochen Späth
Dipl.-Volkswirt
Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW) Tübingen
Ob dem Himmelreich 1
72074 Tübingen
Tel.: +49-(0)7071-9896-14
Fax: +49-(0)7071-9896-99