RE: st: Newey west

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Newey west
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:44:22 -0000

I don't see how your rephrasing is consistent with your previous statement about months being missing from the data.

A non-standard date variable can be coped with by mapping to standard Stata date before attempting to -tsset-. That is better practice than using -egen, group()- because interpretation of results will be easier.

Jared DeLisle

Let me rephrase then.  Say my date is numerical, and indicates year and
month in the form yyyymo.  Then the last two digits of this number
ranges from 1 to 12.  This causes the tsset to choke.  That's when I use
my trick.  Sorry for the confusion.

Nick Cox wrote:
> This is more than just a computational trick. It amounts to saying that all time steps between data points are to be treated as equal. Whether the context is environment, economy, society, medicine or astrology, that is going to be _wrong_ to a greater or lesser extent.
>
> Thus to put it very simply times 1, 3, 4 (say) are mapped to 1, 2, 3 and the time step of 2 is to be treated as exactly equivalent to the time step of 1. That is what your trick implies.

 Jared DeLisle