Re: st: Non-standard categorical data test - help!

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Non-standard categorical data test - help!
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:31:15 +0000

On 10 Noll 2008, at 12:09, K Jensen wrote:

I tried doing this as what I have seen described as a "Replicated
G-test of independence" (I had to do this in Excel - if anyone knows
how to do it in Stata, that would be really useful for future
projects) and got the following results:-
Pop     G       df      p
1       1.46    1       0.2271
2       0.53    1       0.4681
3       3.74    1       0.0533
4       0.02    1       0.9002
5       1.23    1       0.2679
Total G 6.96    5       0.2233
Pooled G        4.84    1       0.0278
Heterogeneity G 2.12    4       0.0000

The G-test is, as far as I am aware, what Stata refers to as the likelihood ratio Chi-square. Since the values of G can be summed, you can do the generalised test by doing a simple -tabulate- using the - by- option to obtain separate tables for each population, then add the likelihood ratio Chi-squares and degrees of freedom.

Someone's borrowed my manual, so I cannot check whether -mhodds- may not do a generalised G-test for heterogeneity. Perhaps someone could check this while I wander down the corridor to try and see where my manual has gone...

Ronan Conroy

[email protected]
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment