SV: SV: SV: st: Survey - raking - calibration - post stratification - calculating weights

From   "Kristian Wraae" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   SV: SV: SV: st: Survey - raking - calibration - post stratification - calculating weights
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:25:07 +0100

Thanks Steve

I was referring to the design.
What I meant by same probability was that if I include the distant islands
in the most distant non-island categories those categories would be weighted
too high due to the fact that too few of the 600 would be from that
category.

I think the only good solution is to drop the 164 men from the the 4975 and
rake on geography with fewer categories.

Thanks for all your help.

Kristian

There is no assumption "that all had the same probability of being
included in the final sample". People had different probabilities of
getting into that sample; that is why you are doing the response-
modeling.

-Steve

On Dec 9, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Kristian Wraae wrote:

> I think the reason why STATA complains about totals not being equal
> is that
> I have one geography category missing amingst the 600. We refrained
> from
> asking people who lived on distant islands, and thus had difficulty
> showing
> up, to participate in the final sample to avoid have too many
> dropouts.
>
> So I suppose we should drop all individuals living on islands
> amongst the
> 4975 (it is only 164) and later amongst the 3743 (120) in order to
> do the
> final raking with geography.

> Alternatively the final raking should be done
> without geography since there is really no reason to belive that
> geography
> should be a factor determining health.

> Another approach is to include the islands into the most distant
> zip-code
> category, but that will interfere with the assumption that all had
> the same
> probability of being included in the final sample.

You misunderstand the purpose of raking.  There is no such assumption
involved.