st: RE: Formatting a twoway graph with different scaled y axes

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Formatting a twoway graph with different scaled y axes
Date   Mon, 8 Dec 2008 19:56:53 -0000

Please give a minimal example of a relevant dataset.

René Geppert

I am using Stata/SE 10 for Windows.

I generated a graph using the following (simplified) code:

. twoway (bar var1 Quarter, yaxis(1) yscale(range(0))) (line var2
Quarter, yaxis(2) )

I do so in order to obtain two y-axes (left and right hand side) with a
different scale. To format the graph properly I experienced two problems:
a) Both axes start at their minimum values, which I can fix for the left
hand side y-axis using yscale(range(0)), which does not work for the
right hand side y-axis for some reason. Why is that and how can I
achieve the same effect there?
b) var 1 and var 2 have 6 observations (at each instance of Quarter).
How can I get a label at each instance in the graph for the line and bar
plot, respectively? That is, show the observation values for example
inside each bar and above the line. The blabel option which one can
usually use in a bar graph does not work in the twoway bar version.