RE: st: significance test between two kendalls' tau coefficents ?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: significance test between two kendalls' tau coefficents ?
Date   Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:18:36 -0000

Mike has raised an important issue here, because a "significant" difference between 2 Kendall's taus seems to imply that at least one of them is non-zero. A possible response is to use the hyperbolic arctangent transformation (also known as Fisher's z transformation), recommended by Edwardes (1995), as a Normalizing and variance-stabilizing transformation. This transformation is available in Stata by using the -somersd- package with the -transf(z)- option. If this is used, then -lincom- and -metaparm- will give confidence intervals for the difference between the z-transformed Kendall's taus, instead of confidence intervals for the difference between the original Kendall's taus. However, both differences have the same sign. It is also possible to use an arcsine transformation, as suggested by Daniels and Kendall (1947).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Daniels, H. E., and M. G. Kendall. 1947. The significance of rank correlation where parental correlation exists. Biometrika 34: 197–208.

Edwardes, M. D. d. B. 1995. A confidence interval for Pr(X < Y) − Pr(X > Y) estimated from simple cluster samples. Biometrics 51: 571–578.

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London