RE: st: RE: problem with dividing dataset into equally sized groups

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: problem with dividing dataset into equally sized groups
Date   Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:53:07 -0000

Yes indeed; but this is still arbitrary and (I believe) not
reproducible. Inside -egen, rank()- there is a -sort- that can not be
made stable. Normally this does not bite but with "unique" ranks it
could.

Fuzzing with random noise as suggested is at least reproducible in that
you can set the seed.

David Elliott

Unique ranking before cutting will force as equal size groups as
possible while simply using -egen ..cut()- will not.

Eg:
sysuse auto, clear
* Per Martin's suggestion
egen group1 = cut(mpg), group(4)
lab var group1 "Just use cut(mpg)"
tab group1
* Alternate using ranking first
egen rank = rank(mpg), unique
egen group2=cut(rank), group(4)
lab var group2 "Use rank(mpg), then cut(rank)"
tab group2
table group2 group1,stubw(15) row col