Re: st: ranking with weights

Subject   Re: st: ranking with weights
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:58:06 -0500

Cindy Gao--
I think the only error in Nick's code is one he already flagged
himself, i.e. the average of 1 and 2 is not 1 but 1.5.  So the rank
need not start at 1 and need not end at the sum of weights (except in
the special case where the first/last obs has weight one and has no
ties).  Perhaps the point is more clear in this example:

clear
input exp freq
  1000      1
  1000      1
  2000   5999
  2000   9000
  3000   8000
  3000   4000
  3000   4000
 10000   1000
end
bysort exp: gen tf = sum(freq)
by exp: replace tf = tf[_N]
by exp: gen first = _n == 1
gen rank = sum(tf * first)
replace rank = rank-(tf-1)/2
g p=sum(freq)
replace p=rank/p[_N]
loc adj=p[1]/2
replace p=p-`adj'
li, noo clean

The above assumes no missing values or zero weights; real data may
have missing or zero freq or missing exp requiring modification
depending on what you hope to achieve. (E.g. should a person with zero
weight get the rank of tied cases or a missing rank? What if there are
no tied cases?)

The variable p measures the rank between 0 and 1 and the oddness of
`adj' pertains to whether you want p to range from w[1]>0 to 1 or to
range from w[1]/2 to 1-w[1]/2 which some find more intuitively
appealing (also handy if you want to apply various transformations to
p that require it to be strictly between 0 and 1).