Re: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?

Subject   Re: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?
Date   Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:02:12 -0500

Gisella Young <[email protected]>:
It may be that you are looking for a simple stacked bar graph over
income quintiles or deciles or the like, as opposed to a parametric
smooth over income quantiles.  If so, you might want to adapt one of
this pair of example graphs to your needs:

clear all
sysuse nlsw88
ren industry i
tab i, g(ind)
g w=round(uniform()*20)
la var w "fake survey weight"
_pctile wage [pw=w], nq(5)
g q=1 if wage<=r(r1)
forv i=2/5 {
 replace q=`i' if wage>r(r`=`i'-1') & wage<=r(r`i')
 }
loc y
forv i=1/12 {
 loc l "`=substr("`: var la ind`i''",4,.)'"
 loc y `"`y' lab(`i' "`l'")"'
 loc lv`i' `"la var ind`i' "`l'" "'
 }
gr bar ind* [pw=w], stack over(q) name(b) leg(`y')
collapse ind* [pw=w], by(q)
forv i=2/12 {
 replace ind`i'=ind`i'+ind`=`i'-1'
 }
loc v
forv i=1/12 {
 `lv`i''
 loc v "ind`i' `v'"
 }
tw bar `v' q, name(tw)

Note that the commands above destroy the data in memory, so make sure
you -preserve- or -save- first as appropriate.  Also note that there
is no guarantee that the distributions of income by occupation, or
occupation by income category, display any sort of stochastic
dominance that would allow easy ranking of occupations.

See also http://www.stata.com/capabilities/graphexamples.html