Re: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?

Subject   Re: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?
Date   Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:46:43 +0100

No need to say "sorry", the list is there - in particular- for insidious problems. So could you post some kind of example dataset with instructions of what you are trying to accomplish? The dotplot was a guess in the absence of an example...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gisella Young" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?

Thank you for your replies. However sorry to come back but I am still stuck and wonder whether I could bother people for further advice. On Maarten Buis's suggestion, I am not sure why I would really need a regression - I get from his email that this is basically for smoothing? Since I actually want to plot the actual data (but realise that this needs smoothing), what I would prefer to do would be to have income plotted in for example percentiles (on the x-axis) showing for each percentile the composition of that income percentile in terms of occupation on the y-axis.

I guess one way would be a histogram or bar chart, but what I really want is a continuous area plot with percentiles of income on the x-axis and percentage in each occupation (for each income percentile) on the y-axis.

I'm not sure whether a dot graph as Martin Weiss suggests will really do this, I've looked into it but it seems quite different unless I am misunderstanding? Also, I am struggling with even the first step of creating another variable first with the proportions of each occupation for each income group (eg percentile). I have tried functions such as sumdist, pctile, and xtile (downloaded from SSC) but they are not dividing the population into equally sized percentile groups. I have tried for instance -sumdist income if date==2007 [fw=weight], n(100) qgp(test)- but the groups are not of the same size.

I'm hopeful that there must be a simple way to do this, in part because in Excel it can be done in a few minutes (but excel of course can't handle large survey data as I am dealing with). Sorry to bother the list with these follow-up enquiries.

best,
Gisella