st: Re: how to make an area graph showing distribution?

Subject   st: Re: how to make an area graph showing distribution?
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:57:50 +0100

"Perhaps I need to create some other variables first (of the proportion of each occupation for different incomes?) "

Do that and try a -graph dot- with the -asis- option turned on and the -over- option present... You might have to play around with it a little bit....

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gisella Young" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:43 PM
Subject: st: how to make an area graph showing distribution?

I am trying to make a chart showing the distribution of income by occupation. On the x-axis I would like the distribution of income from 0 to the highest. Then on the y-axis I want to show the proportion of people in different occupations. I have a variable (occup) with 6 different occupational categories. In other words, I want to show how the different occupations fit into income distribution, by showing how the occupational breakdown of income changes moving up the income spectrum. I thought an area chart (summing to 100) would be the rest way to do this, although there might be better ways which I would be open to suggestions. I have tried the twoway area function with different variations, but it doesn't seem to be right (just gives a crazy chart with lines all over) and I'm not sure how to do it. Perhaps I need to create some other variables first (of the proportion of each occupation for different incomes?) and then plot those? I'm thinking that I will need to have various bands (eg 100 or 25) for smoothness. I've tried the help files and previous statalist queries, but I think I must be looking for the wrong thing as it should be simple but I can't find a solution! ANY suggestions would be appreciated!

best,
Gisella