st: Multinomial transition model with unobserved heterogeneity

From   "Kristian Karlson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Multinomial transition model with unobserved heterogeneity
Date   Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:30:16 +0100

Dear expert users,

Does anyone have suggestions about how to estimate a multinomial
transition model with unobserved heterogeneity (captured by latent
classes) for educational transitions in a multitier system? The first
choice is among three educational tracks (in secondary education), and
the second choice--contingent on a specific first choice¬¬—is among
four tracks (in higher education). Maybe someone out there are
familiar with this model and have tried to estimate it in Stata.

A similar model can be found in Breen & Jonsson 2000: "Analyzing
Educational Careers: A Multinomial Transition Model", American
Sociological Review, vol. 65 no. 5. Breen & Jonsson, however, estimate
the model in LEM, but this is not an option for me (because of server
software limitations).

I have previously formulated a similar question, but no one was able
to help me (see
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-11/msg00767.html).
Consequently, I would appreciate if anyone could give me a helping
hand with this slightly different question formulation.

All the best
Kristian