st: Comments on replying to lists: statalist-digest V4 #3257

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Comments on replying to lists: statalist-digest V4 #3257
Date   Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:20:06 -0000

No solution will suit all people and all situations, but we all get
immense value from the virtual community that was unheard of twenty or
thirty years ago.  Statalist seems to operate very amicably (usually!),
but users might consider two more options:
1) when posing a question, invite personal responses rather than all
comments going to the list.  You can (must!) later collate the responses
into one summary that will save every later user having to follow the
threads through the archive.
2) when responding to the list, please quote only the section of the
message(s) you are responding to.  Since the original message is
archived, it's wasting space (and people's time) to reply with a full
copy.

"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler"
is a formulation of Occam's razor, attributed to the 14th century
English logician William of Occam (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor).
No doubt Bill got the idea from someone we've never heard of (the zeroth
theorem -
blogs.nature.com/nautilus/categories/quality_measures/citation_analysis/
)

Allan

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.