Re: RE: st: significance of mean and median

From   "Bastian Steingros" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: significance of mean and median
Date   Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:08:24 +0100

Hi,

using
sysuse auto, clear
reg mpg, nohe
mean mpg
ttest mpg==0

displays the same results. However, how do these tests deal with the assumption, that mpg has to normal distributed?
More precisely , how important is the fact that mpg is normal distributed? Most of the variables in my sample are left or right skewed...
Is ttest also in this case reliable it?

by the way, median mpg require a option. So, how can I test if the median of a var. is significant without using this command? Because I have no idea which by-option would make sense in my sample.
Nick Cox seems not to be fully agreed with LAD/qreg...

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:28:23 +0100
> Von: "Martin Weiss" <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: RE: st: significance of mean and median

> Line for the server...
>

> Agreed! But what is the beauty of your solution compared with the -mean-
> command that was offered as a solution to Bastian`s problem in this
> thread?
> They obviously give the same result...
>
> ********
> sysuse auto, clear
> reg mpg, nohe
> mean mpg
> ********
>
> HTH
> Martin

Sensationsangebot nur bis 30.11: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a