RE: how to reply on Statalist [was: RE: st: Categorizing HIV status using a series of string variables]

From   "Polis, Chelsea B." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: how to reply on Statalist [was: RE: st: Categorizing HIV status using a series of string variables]
Date   Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:23:55 -0500

Thanks very much for this response, Nick.  I'm not sure if you are saying that the paragraph below is the entirety of what you plan to add to the FAQ, but I'm not sure that it fully answers my particular question, which is: What is the best way for a digest subscriber to respond to a response within an already existing thread?  Is it enough to simply copy the title of the post you wish to respond to, put "RE:" in front of it, and send a new email to [email protected]?

When I tried this above, it appears to have generated "<Possible follow-ups>" above my response, which seems atypical.  Does this have to do with the fact that I didn't copy any of the text in the message body into the body of my response, or something else?  I've tried the same method again with this post (putting "RE:" in front of the title of the post I wish to respond to), but I've also copied the body of your post to see if that changes anything.

Thanks for clarifying,
Chelsea

Chelsea is correct. The FAQ does not spell this out. I guess that we
thought it didn't require comment, but we'll add a paragraph to the FAQ
section 2.2, as follows:

If you are replying to a posting, your mailer will typically produce a
sensible message title (e.g. by prefixing the previous title with
"Re:"). However, if you are replying to a daily digest, please take care
to edit the title to that of the specific posting you are replying to.
In addition, please do not start a new thread by replying to a previous
posting, even if you delete its contents and change its title, as such
practice messes up archiving.

The last bit is also mentioned elsewhere, but it is often ignored....

Polis, Chelsea B.

I'm still trying to understand how to reply to individual postings when
I receive Statalist in digest form...I'm hoping that slapping a "RE:" in
front of the subject line I wish to respond to will allow me to do that,
but I couldn't find information in the FAQ on specifically how to do
this.