st: re: plotmatrix error

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: plotmatrix error
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:36:07 -0500

<>
Maarten wrote

> I find this to be true of code posted to Statalist as well. I can
> often not simply cut and paste and expect it too work as is.

That is interesting, is this also true for the examples I sent to the
statalist?
(e.g. http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-03/msg00459.html)

If so, what is the problem in such cases, and what can I do to avoid
them?

There is no problem with the example referred to above on my Mac OSX system (once I got rid of the trailing ) in the URL). What may be problematic in a number of instances is line breaks that appear in the Statalist display. The lines in the example above are all short, so no breaks are encountered. But one of the reasons why I ask authors not to email .ado files in the body of the message is that mailers often insert breaks which Stata cannot then handle.

In the case of Ade's in-line code (and Enzo's last week) the introduction of unprintable high-ASCII characters appears to be behavior of the email program. Enzo said he was using Thunderbird for Windows. I don't know what mail client Ade was using.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html