Re: st: RE: coding problem: looping through a list of ID's

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: coding problem: looping through a list of ID's
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:40:48 -0500

I'm sure this is a very interesting problem, but it is hard to see
quite what you want or where you are starting. You say you reshaped
the data twice, which may have helped you or may have distorted your
observations.

Assuming your original data looks like this:

 ID   dov   height
 1
 1
 .
 .
 2
 2
 .

and what you want is average annual increase, then

  bysort ID (dov) : gen rate=(height-height[_n-1])/(dov-dov[_n-1])
  bysort ID: egen average=mean(rate)

The first line will give you the rate of increase/day for each subject
at each visit relative to the last (note that -rate- will be missing
for the first visit). The second line then averages this rate over all
visits.

Note that the rate will be in height/day, you will want to multiply
by 365.25 to get growth/year.

Hope this helps.

Jeph

Leny Mathew wrote:
Figured as much, but at this point any comments would be useful for me!!

When I got this data set each patient had a different number of visits
over the period of time and not everyone visits over whole period. I
tried writing this code for that but couldn't get it to loop over
patient id, so had to create a max(number of visits) per person and
use that value as a break point. The I changed the data into wide
format and when I reshaped it back to long, I ended up with the
everybody having the maximum of 148 visits. This was a boon in a sense
because I didn't have to worry about the max number of visits per
person (a problem as each loop takes an awful lot of time!) Some
people would have age as missing in some rows but I figured that it
wouldn't be a problem in the loop as that difference would be set to
missing and that wouldn't be an issue.
Since I needed to create an age interval I thought that age could be
used in the same way as I would use date, just that I would set 1 year
instead of the number of days elapsed.

The way this is set up I'm trying to take the difference (within each
patient) of age[i]- age[j] where i takes all values 148 through 1 and
j does the same. So I can calculate the all age differences and if the
age difference is between approximately 1 year ( 0.95, 1.5) then I can
calculate the height difference for those ages.

The data is as follows:

pt_id  counter num  timec age     dov
1       1          148   1        10.1    1 jan 01
1       2          148   2        12.1    1 jan 03
.
.
1      147        148  147     .          .
1      148        148  148     16.1    ..
2      149        148   1        5.0     2 Jan 98
2      150        148   2        5.5     2 Jun 98
.
.
.