st: R: significance of mean and median

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: significance of mean and median
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:46:02 +0100

Dear Bastian,
as far as your first answer is concerned, please provide us with more
information concerning the comparison you are willing to perform (eg.: how
do the sample distributions of var1 and var2 behave? Are the t-test
requirements fulfilled?).

Kind Regards,

Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Bastian Steingros
Inviato: lunedì 24 novembre 2008 12.56
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: significance of mean and median

Hello everybody,

I have this problem:

After creating the descriptive statistics of my sample I want to show that
the mean of a certain variable is statistically significant.
For example the mean of var1 is 0,45. Now I want to show that the positive
sign is significant.
Is ttest the appropriate way to do so?

Moreover, in another sample I want to predict the GDP using two different
regression models.
Finally, I want to compare the predicted values with the real GDP, that is,
I will compare the mean and the median of the inaccuracy.
Inaccuracy is defined as (GDP_predicted - GDP)/GDP

Is there a way to show that the median (mean) inaccuracies of the two models
are statistically different from each other?

may be *signtest*???

thanks

bastian s
--
Sensationsangebot nur bis 30.11: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a