Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data

From   "Richard Palmer-Jones" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data
Date   Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:18:36 +0000

Dear Readers,

I have been a bit distracted looking at R for reasons explained below,
so had not yet replied.

I do not have repeat measures - I am using cross section data on
adults. It would be interesting to have repeat anthropometric measures
on adults (males as well as females) as cross section data are surely
affected by survival.

I have not looked as -xriml- but probably should. Instead I have been
trying to use the GAMLSS package in R (http://www.gamlss.com/) which
is apparently used in the recent WHO nutritional charts (Anthro -
http://www.who.int/childgrowth/software/en/). I am having convergence
problems, by the way.

For heights conventional tests (omninorm, sktest) do not generally
show significant skewness of height (by single year of age, or in 5
year groups) in adults from 20-55, apart from a few which I suppose is
to be expected. However, both LMSChartmaker and GAMLSS seem to
indicate there is. LMSGrowth assums L = 1 which is no skewness, so
maybe this is a red herring unless I want to work with weight?

For those who interested I have adapted Huebler's AutoIt scripts to
run with R from Textpad (or notepad++), which helps from familiarity
with using these editors with Stata.

Richard