Re: st: Correlation coefficient between discrete and continuous variables

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Correlation coefficient between discrete and continuous variables
Date   Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:23:19 -0500

Dear Austin, thank you for having a look at it. My feeling is that
this is the nature of the problem and the correlation coefficients
estimated in the two ways will differ similarly to how the
coefficients of linear probability model differ from coefficients in
discrete outcome models. And in case of unequal width intervals I'd
give preference to the probit.

In your example the difference in estimated rho is 0.00655327 versus
0.0077479 if I got it right. Which is something I would not spend too
much time on. But have a look at this example:

sysuse auto, clear
egen weight_group=cut(weight), at(0,2000,2500,3000,4000,5000)
center weight_group price, c s
qui reg c_*
di _b[c_price]
qui corr weight_group price
di r(rho)
oprobit c_weight_group c_price
oprobit weight_group c_price

Here the difference is 0.40929567 versus 0.6149637 and this matters for my case.

Thank you Steven for pointing to -polychoric- command (which in the
case above results in 0.51170656). Unless there is a critique of it, I
will be using it for my computations.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin