Re: st: Problem with foreach in Stata 10.1

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with foreach in Stata 10.1
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:46:22 +0000

Your title indicated -foreach- but your actually using -forval- and the
problem isn't related to doing things in a loop.

Joao Ricardo F. Lima wrote:
> How you can see, the estat ic is repeated in each looping...
>
> Can someone reproduce my problem and explain what am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks a lot

It looks to me like you copied and pasted the output from 9.2 in both
instances.  When I ran the code in Stata 10.1 (Born 11 Aug 2008) there
was a note at the bottom of the tables output by -estat-....

 Note:  N=Obs used in calculating BIC; see [R] BIC note

On reading this your problem became clearer and looking at the tables
again I notied that the Obs reported by -estat- did not match those
reported by -dfuller-, so I took the advice given in that note and used
thesample sizes estaimted by -dfuller- when calling -estat-...

webuse air2, clear
forvalues i=1/3 {
  dfuller air, lags(`i')
  estat ic, n(`r(N)')
 }

...is this what you were expecting (output below)?

Neil

Augmented Dickey-Fuller test for unit root         Number of obs
=       142

                               ---------- Interpolated Dickey-Fuller
---------
                  Test         1% Critical       5% Critical      10%
Critical
               Statistic           Value             Value             Value
 Z(t)             -2.345            -3.496            -2.887
-2.577
MacKinnon approximate p-value for Z(t) = 0.1579

       Model |    Obs    ll(null)   ll(model)     df
AIC         BIC
-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
           . |    142           .   -1285.563     20     2611.125
2670.242
               Note:  N=142 used in calculating BIC

Augmented Dickey-Fuller test for unit root         Number of obs
=       141

                               ---------- Interpolated Dickey-Fuller
---------
                  Test         1% Critical       5% Critical      10%
Critical
               Statistic           Value             Value             Value
 Z(t)             -1.811            -3.496            -2.887
-2.577
MacKinnon approximate p-value for Z(t) = 0.3751

       Model |    Obs    ll(null)   ll(model)     df
AIC         BIC
-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
           . |    141           .   -1285.563     20     2611.125
2670.1
               Note:  N=141 used in calculating BIC

Augmented Dickey-Fuller test for unit root         Number of obs
=       140

                               ---------- Interpolated Dickey-Fuller
---------
                  Test         1% Critical       5% Critical      10%
Critical
               Statistic           Value             Value             Value
 Z(t)             -1.536            -3.497            -2.887
-2.577
MacKinnon approximate p-value for Z(t) = 0.5158

       Model |    Obs    ll(null)   ll(model)     df
AIC         BIC
-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
           . |    140           .   -1285.563     20     2611.125
2669.958
               Note:  N=140 used in calculating BIC

--
"We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Anon (not Albert Einstein)

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail