Re: st: How do I define this data as a panel?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How do I define this data as a panel?
Date   Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:19:24 +0100

Hello Ali,

Year and Company should uniquely identify your observations. So do you really need Country as identifier in your analysis? If not take Company as "id"-variable and Year as "time"-dimension.

Best regards

Christian

Zitat von "Shahzad, Muhammad" <[email protected]>:

Hello,

My data has the following "shape":

Country           Year     Company         Industry        Variables
Country1        2000    CompanyA        IndX            V1      V2      VN
Country1        2000    CompanyB        IndY            V1      V2      VN
Country1        2001    CompanyA        IndX            V1      V2      VN
Country1        2006    CompanyD        IndZ            V1      V2      VN
.
Country2        2000    CompanyB        IndY            V1      V2      VN
..
Country2        2006    CompanyJ        IndX            V1      V2      VN
CountryN        2006    CompanyN        IndN            V1      V2      VN

When I try to define it as a panel using country and year as the panel and time variables respectively, I get the error message " repeated time values in sample". Obviously the combination of country and year is not uniquely defining each observation. What should I do in this case to define this data as a panel in order to utilize the --xt-- family of commands?

Your help and suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Ali Shahzad

Christian Böber
International Research Training Group
"Sustainable Resource Use in North China" (769)
Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in
the Tropics and Subtropics (490A)
University of Hohenheim
D-70593 Stuttgart/ Germany
Phone: ++49 (0) 711-459-23475