st: Allocating more than 700mb to stata-successful

From   "Tharyan, Rajesh" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Allocating more than 700mb to stata-successful
Date   Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:33:02 +0000

Hi all,

I recently posted a message regarding the problem with allocating more than 700mb to Stata.
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-11/msg00048.html.

I was running 32 bit win-xp with Stata 10.1 and the system had 4 gb of memory. I tried all the usual fixes, SP2 with the hotfix on the Stata website help pages, installed SP3 with had this hotfix included in it. But nothing would allow me to increase the allocated memory to more than 700mb to Stata.

Then I hit upon a post  http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-02/msg00287.html regarding the use of the /3GB switch.
In the post Anna asks if "Stata supports this switch, i.e. whether Stata comes with the bit IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set in its image header - or can be modified to do this ?" The answer is that it is not large address aware but it can be made large address aware.

/3GB switch worked for me and I could finally allocate nearly 1500m to stata, which is fine for my requirements (so far). There  dosent seem to be any adverse performance effects so far. Scouring the internet led me to a utility which can actually can make the required programs large address aware.

The official stata line was that ....

Currently, the only fixes to this problem are to

        1) Upgrade to 32bit Microsoft Vista
        2) Use a 32bit Linux operating system
        3) Upgrade to 64-bit computer, 64-bit operating system,
           and 64-bit Stata.

"We have had users try the 3Gb switch in the past, but we do not officially support the configuration.  This isn't to say that the switch won't work
correctly with Stata, but it's just not something we can provide support for.  If you (or your IT contact) can make it work, then feel free to give
it a try."

My problem was that I didn't have the option to change the OS. Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posts.

Regards
Rajesh