RE: st: Re: area between reference lines

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: area between reference lines
Date   Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:24:37 -0500

<<munchie>>

Mike,

One possibility is to creat the "buffer" yourself. Here I place a 4% buffer on the y-axis using yscale(range()) and some pre-calculations (if desired, one could do something similar for the x-axis). My preference is for subtle shading (as shown) but many other preferences exist.

Tom

sysuse uslifeexp, clear
* range y variables and set buffer
qui summ le_male
local min = r(min)
local max = r(max)
qui sum le_female
local min = min(`min', r(min))
local max = max(`max', r(max))
local buff = (`max'-`min') * 0.04
local min = `min' - `buff'
local max = `max' + `buff'
* do plot
tempvar aux
g `aux'=`max'
tw (area `aux' year if year>=1915 & year<=1921, col(emidblue*.25)) ///
   (line le_female year) (line le_male year) ///
   (scatteri 80 1921 "WW-I & " 78 1921 "Spanish Flu" 80 1945 "Post WW-II", s(i)) ///
   , legend(order(2 3)) xli(1945, lcol(emidblue*.5)) plotr(m(zero)) yscale(range(`min' `max'))

Thomas J. Steichen
[email protected]