RE: st: Labelling stacked histograms

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Labelling stacked histograms
Date   Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:39:06 -0000

I am pretty clear that discreteness is not relevant to Fran's concerns.

Martin Weiss

Nick`s example is preferable to mine (and probably Maarten`s) as he uses
the
-discrete- rep78 while we used continuous variables (whatever that may
mean
with 74 observations)...

Maarten buis

--- fran brittan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want a histogram of one variable broken down by another, such as
> education levels by gender. I'm using the histogram var1, by var2
> format. I want the two histograms that are produced as a result
> within the combined graph to show the value label on top of each
> histogram, instead of showing the numeric code. I have tested that
> the data has the value labels I want, yet it's not showing up.

That is weird. Try the following example, which works for me:

*------- begin example ------------
sysuse auto, clear
hist mpg, by(foreign, note("") legend(off)) normal
*-------- end example -------------

> I've tried manipulating the legend option but it keeps giving the key
> to the various aspects of the graphs (the density and the normal
> curve I superimposed) rather than to the individual histograms.
>
> In addition, the overall graph (the combined histograms) has a note
> in the corner that reads "Graph by var2". I can't change this with
> the title command - if I add a title, this gets inserted above each
> histogram (the same text above each, and above the value code), while
> the "Graph by var2" notice stays unaffected.

These things should be specified _within_ the -by()- option, as is
shown in the example. The -by()- option is very powerful, but does
require some very careful reading of the documentation. I got, and
still get, bit by it many times.