Re: st: Errors with commands after update

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Errors with commands after update
Date   Fri, 7 Nov 2008 05:19:44 -0600

On Nov 7, 2008, at 4:43 AM, Steven J. Carter wrote:
I am running 10.0 SE, and recently updated my ado and executable files. Now, I get error messages when running certain commands (ivregress) that say :

(_iv_kclass_wrk() in lmataado, compiled by Stata 10.1, is too new to be run by this version of Stata and so was ignored)
               <istmt>:  3499  _iv_kclass_wrk() not found
r(3499);

Any ideas how to fix this?

It sounds like you managed to update your ado-files but not your executable. Try -query born- from the Stata prompt -- if this does not return "11 Aug 2008" (i.e., Stata 10.1), then your executable is not up to date. Try updating the executable again, and make sure to follow all of the instructions it gives you. If that doesn't work, a likely reason would be a permissions/privileges problem. Advising you on that would require knowing what platform you're running.

If, originally, your ado-files were updated but not your executable, then it's possible that your original update didn't finish successfully (e.g., perhaps because of a network interruption). I don't know off the top of my head, but I presume ado-file updates are downloaded into a staging area and then moved into the updates directory en masse, so that the chances of winding up with a partially complete ado-file update should be small. However, if you're concerned about that, I believe you can delete the UPDATES directory (use -sysdir- to see where this is) to force a reinstall of all ado- file updates.

Finally, although you're welcome to come to the list for help, Stata's technical support is the authoritative word on installation/execution problems -- they are much better equipped to handle the types of platform-specific issues that can come up here than most of us are.

-- Phil