st: Re: Suggestions On Event Study Implementation Using Sureg

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Suggestions On Event Study Implementation Using Sureg
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:37:04 -0500

< >
If you examine the reshaped data created by this logic, I think you will find that only the last observation (with tradedatenum == 1382) has a 1 in eventindicator. It is thus a 'singleton dummy'. Putting in a dummy that is 1 for only 1 observation in a timeseries in plain old OLS is equivalent to dropping that observation from the regression, as you can then 'explain' y[1382] perfectly -- it has its own intercept term. I don't think you want to do this.

This is not the standard methodology for an event study (in particular, because the use of -sureg- prevents you from examining any number of firms). Why wouldn't you rather want to estimate over the pre-event period and forecast returns over the event period, and look for abnormal returns?

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html