Re: st: RE: minor bug in -describe-?

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: minor bug in -describe-?
Date   Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:20:50 +0900

Sergiy Radyakin wrote:

Martin, it applies not only to -describe-, it is all over:

      sysuse auto, clear
      rename trunk income
      regress price inc*
      regress price in*

And in this case the message "varlist not allowed" can knockout anyone
who wanted to use it in according to the syntax:
      regress depvar indepvarlist

It also applies to reserved words -if- and -using-, but not to -byte-.
(Tried "ifo", "using_method", and "bytevar" as variable names in the
code above and abbreviated to the length of the reserved word).

In general I do want the above regression to work, and when parsing a
command for parts of syntax, "in" should be different from "in*". But
may be there is something else there. Since -syntax- is built-in , we
may never know, unless someone from Stata, corp steps in.

A related 'bug' (?) would be the following:

      generate byte long float double z=1

is this a valid command? if yes, what is the resulting type of z? why?

They both look like bugs to me, too--if not in the command-line parser, then
in the documentation.  Although StataCorp monitors the list, I'd recommend
that you send both of these in to technical support in order to assure that
they're given official recognition.

Joseph Coveney