st: R: Re: statalist-digest V4 #3224

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Re: statalist-digest V4 #3224
Date   Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:11:13 +0100

Dear Tim,
wouldn't it be wise to perform a sensitivity analysis on your original
regression after bootstrapping the psychological distress scores?

Kind Regards and enjoy your Sunday,
Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Tim Hale
Inviato: domenica 26 ottobre 2008 0.47
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: Re: statalist-digest V4 #3224

Scott,

Actually, I haven't thought of this type of measure to be a count
variable. Originally we used OLS but a reviewer suggested that we
should transform the psychological distress score to correct for skew
and if the skew is not corrected then we should try nbreg or zinb (if
the vuong test shows a zero-inflated model to fit best). I tried
correcting for the skew but sktest, swilk, and sfrancia indicate the
distribution remains skewed. So, following the reviewers suggestion,
we are trying zinb.

I have found a few papers where others have treated the CES-D as a
count variable. We are using a very similar measure, the K6
psychological distress scale.

Do you have any recommendations about how to handle the reviewers
suggestions? Perhaps it is still appropriate to use the log-
psychological distress rather than treating psychological distress as
a count variable? The results between using OLS and the natural log of
psychological distress are very similar to nbreg.

Thank you for help,
Tim