Re: st: svy: countries as psu

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svy: countries as psu
Date   Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:19:20 -0400

I am not knowledgeable about the World Value Surveys. Still, I have some comments.

I like Stas's suggestions. It might be difficult to -svyset- the data to represent the sampling design below the country levels, but I presume, that the WVS "integrated" data sets include unified design variables.

I looked at two publications from WVS: one analyzed individuals respondent data, with multi-level-models. The other (http:// www.worldvaluessurvey.org/Upload/_Liberalism%20and%20%E2%80% A6materialism.doc) seems to have used countries as the analysis unit, with country-averages for each variable.

You haven't told us much about your purpose and your "target population," if any. Your decisions should be based on your purpose. If you are interested in analyzing, say, differences between people in Easter and Western Europe, you should weight to population. If you are interested in differences between countries, possibly you should not weight to population.

If you use the supplied weights, then you are effectively weighting to population. This will down-weight small countries. if you don't use the supplied weights, you risk bias because of some important groups within each country are under-represented. See: https:// library.usask.ca/files/data/newsletter/datacrunchv13.pdf. Still other weighting schemes have been applied to WVS analyses, e.g.: http:// www.worldvaluessurvey.org/Upload/_Liberalism%20and%20%E2%80% A6materialism.doc

 -Steve