Re: st: RE: RE: Calling a Do-file

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Calling a Do-file
Date   Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:39:17 -0400

Jason probably has experience with other programming environments
where a 'variable' denotes a named memory address where a particular
value is stored, which is restricted to the current scope unless
declared global. In Stata 'variables' are columns in the dataset (rows
are called 'observations') and there is only one dataset that Stata
may work with at a time. 'locals' and 'globals' are equivalents of
what is called 'variables' in other programming languages. This is
explained in the FAQ somewhere. Variables in the data are always
visible to any part of the code, no matter how deep the calls are
nested.

I'd suggest Jason to look through these definitions and perhaps
rephrase the question in Stata's terms.

Regards,
   Sergiy