st: RE: Tibshirani's enhanced bootstrap (ado file)

Subject   st: RE: Tibshirani's enhanced bootstrap (ado file)
Date   Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:42:57 +0200

If it is all about the technical aspects of writing a help file, try -help
examplehelpfile- and -view- it with the -asis- option as in

**********
qui findfile examplehelpfile.sthlp
*view "`r(fn)'"
view "`r(fn)'", asis
**********

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of G. ter Riet
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Tibshirani's enhanced bootstrap (ado file)

Dear Statalisters,
Last August, I wrote a somewhat primitive, yet working do-file to perform
the enhanced bootstrap procedure to correct for over-optimism in predictive
logistic models. I asked Patrick Royston's help to turn that do-file into
something more useful for the Stata community. He kindly helped me out and
his code works (see below). However, two issues remain: there is no help
file and there is a question about what is the best way of reporting the
Standard Deviations (SD) over the bootstrap samples (see below). Below I
copied our correspondence on this topic. I feel that neither my statistical
knowledge, nor my programming abilities are firm enough to write a good help
file and decide on and program the correct SD. I hope that someone on the
list might volunteer to (slightly) edit Patrick Royston's code, if needed,
and perhaps write a help file to the program to ensure that the Stata
community can fully benefit from what to me seems a useful procedure. In
particular, I think that P

atrick's suggestion might be correct that "It may be preferable to report
the SD over the bootstrap samples, this being the bootstrap-based SE of the
optimism" (see below). That part of the code would then need changing. It
would be wonderful of course if Patrick's suggestions of generalization to
other commands than just logit could be realized.