RE: st: mfx after xtnbreg and how to compute predicted Y

From   "Pek-Hooi Soh" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: mfx after xtnbreg and how to compute predicted Y
Date   Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:21:18 -0700

THANKS Maarten again for the detailed explanation and the coding in Stata,
the recommended readings are great.

I also refer to Cameron, 1998 (regression analysis of count data), which
includes a discussion on Poisson and Negative Binomial estimations with
interaction terms.

These readings are not easy for me to comprehend fully though. I believe I
have two practical questions left in this interpretation problem.

For your first response about a3 being the main effect of x3 when x2 has
it's mean value,
1) Is a3 the estimate I obtain with irr option?
2) Must the estimates for both the single term and the interaction term be
statistically significant in the results? What if one or the other is not,
would the interpretation be different? Or it has no change as long as the
model fit is significant.

Cheers,

Pek