RE: RE: st: RE: Programming a loop to exclude M&As in the 5 years prior to an M&A

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: Programming a loop to exclude M&As in the 5 years prior to an M&A
Date   Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:42:46 +0200

Dear Mr. Weiss and all helpful STATA Users,

I figured ot how to get the target_cusip and acquiror_cusip in one
column by doubling the observation of each deal, and then creating the
following variable t_and_a_cusip that includes for the first [_n==1]
observation per deal the target_cusip and for the second [_n==2]
observation per deal the acquiror_cusip. Then I identified those
t_and_a_cusips, of the targets' and acquiror's, that are duplicated with
the "duplicates tag t_and_a_cusip" command.

sort deal_number
expand 2
generate t_and_a_cusip=""
by deal_number: replace t_and_a_cusip=target_cusip if [_n==1]
by deal_number: replace t_and_a_cusip=acquiror_cusip if [_n==2]
sort t_and_a_cusip year_of_announcement
duplicates tag t_and_a_cusip, generate(duplicated_cusip)

Now I have to figure out how to specify the range that the duplication
tag is assigned only when the difference between the last observation
and the current observation is less than 5 years. Henc I sorted the data
forst by the t_and_a_cusip, and then by the year_of_announcement.

e.g.

year_of_announcement               t_and_a_cusip
1999		                  00001Q
2000		                  00001Q
2000		                  00001Q
2003	                                       00001Q
2006		                  00001Q

Here the consecutive annual differences are less than 5 years, so a
duplication tag=1 is assigned. IHowever, if the differences would be
greater than five years like

year_of_announcement               t_and_a_cusip    duplication_tag
1992		                  00001Q                        0
1999		                  00001Q                        0
2000		                  00001Q                        1
2006		                  00001Q                        0

the obs with 2000 gets a tag as the previous M&A involving the company
with the cusip 00001Q as a target or acquiror occured less then five
years ago. This observation/deal I want to exclude to avoid within 5
years the problem of overlapping M&A deals. How to specifiy such a
qualifier ?

Kind regards

Pascal Stock

Gratis: Jeden Monat 3 SMS versenden-