st: Re: changing format

Subject   st: Re: changing format
Date   Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:34:17 +0200

***********
clear*

input str9 datestr
31JAN2008
end

g newdate = date( datestr, "DMY")
format newdate %td
**********

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nishant Dass" <[email protected]>
To: "STATA Help" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:16 PM
Subject: st: changing format

Hi,

I am using Stata 10.0 for Windows and I have a small question about the "format" of variables:

I have several date variables that appear as string variables in my Stata dataset (reported as "31JAN2008", for instance):

             storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
maturitydate    str9   %9s                    MaturityDate
offerdate       str9   %9s                    OfferDate

I need to find the duration between these two dates so I am trying to change them to a date format as follows:

. format maturitydate offerdate %td

But I get the following error:

"string %fmt required for string variables"

Could someone tell how can I change string variables to dates?

Thank you!

Nishant