-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Michael E
Roettger
Enviado el: Viernes, 10 de Octubre de 2008 09:58 a.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: st: Problem interpreting results from xttobit

Dear STATA list,

I am trying to determine if my (i) regression results are valid using
xttobit and (ii) how to interpret my results due to a major shift in
likelihood functions.

I have been using a random effects tobit model to a measure
left-censored variable [a propensity to commit delinquent acts among a
panel of respondents].  My initial model provides negative log-likehood
with an individual-level random effect that seems reasonable:

>Random-effects tobit regression                 Number of obs      =
2401
>Group variable: aid                             Number of groups   =
804
>Random effects u_i ~ Gaussian                   Obs per group: min =
2
>                                                               avg =
3.0
>                                                               max =
3
>                                                Wald chi2(3)       =
91.53
>Log likelihood  = -4211.3782                    Prob > chi2        =
0.0000
.
.
.
>   /sigma_u |   2.079586   .2733142     7.61   0.000       1.5439
2.615272
>   /sigma_e |   5.835778   .1588994    36.73   0.000     5.524341
6.147215
>-------------+---------------------------------------------------------
>-------------+-------
>         rho |   .1126776   .0284796                      .0662654
.1786233
>-------

However, after adding several variables, the log-likelihood becomes
highly positive and the individual-level random effect that is of the
order of E-39

>Random-effects tobit regression                 Number of obs      =
2294
>Group variable: aid                             Number of groups   =
768

>Random effects u_i ~ Gaussian                   Obs per group: min =
2
>                                                               avg =
3.0
>                                                               max =
3

>                                                Wald chi2(9)       =
300.30
>Log likelihood  =  52807.689                    Prob > chi2        =
0.0000
.
.
.
>   /sigma_u |   4.17e-39   1.06e-40    39.19   0.000     3.96e-39
4.38e-39
>    /sigma_e |   5.793114    .140685    41.18   0.000     5.517377
6.068852
>-------------+---------------------------------------------------------
>-------------+-------
>         rho |   5.19e-79   3.65e-80                      4.52e-79
5.95e-79
>-------

Both models converge to a concave solution and I am estimating about 35
quadrature points for the
Gauss-Hermite function.   Other than the random effects, the estimated
coefficients for Beta's are
consistent with theory/prior research. Its just the change in likelihood
and a highly significant random effect near zero from the first to the
second models above that leave me scratching my head.

Thanks for your time and help!

Mike Roettger

ADVERTENCIA: La  información  contenida  en  esta  transmisión, y  en  cualquier archivo  adjunto, está  sujeta a reserva legal conforme a la normativa aplicable  al  Banco  Central  de  Chile, y  no  puede  ser usada o difundida  por personas distintas  de  su o sus destinatarios. Si usted ha recibido esta transmisión por error,  por  favor  notifique  inmediatamente al remitente respondiendo por este mismo medio y elimínela de su sistema.
El  Banco Central de Chile no se hará responsable de la exactitud y veracidad de la información contenida en este mensaje, así  como  de su  modificación, copia, divulgación  o  reenvío,  total  o  parcial.   Su  uso  no  autorizado puede ser sancionado de conformidad con las leyes chilenas.
El  Banco  Central  de  Chile  transmite  sus decisiones a través de comunicados oficiales, los  que  pone  a  disposición  del público en su página de Internet: www.bcentral.cl

DISCLAIMER: The information  contained  in  this  email or any attached file, is subject to legal  privilege  pursuant  to the laws and regulations applicable to the Central  Bank  of  Chile , and may not be used or disseminated by any person other  than  its  intended recipients. If you have received this transmission in error, please  notify  the sender immediately by reply to this email address and delete it from your system.
The Central Bank  of  Chile shall not be liable for the accuracy or authenticity of the contents of this message, whether amended, copied, forwarded or disclosed in  any  form, in  whole  or  in part.  Please note that unauthorized use may be penalized  in  conformity  with  the  Chilean law.
The Central  Bank of Chile communicates its decisions by  official releases, and
makes them available to the public in its WebPages: www.bcentral.cl