Re: st: RE: m stat for sign test

From   Chris Witte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: m stat for sign test
Date   Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

I appreciate the information Roger!  I need a quick turnaround on my document, so I don't think I'll use this package this time, but I'll give it a look next time.

Chris

----- Original Message ----
From: "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:53:38 PM
Subject: st: RE: m stat for sign test

In fact, Stata can do better than this, if you download the -somersd- package from SSC. The -somersd- package calculates confidence intervals for a large family of rank statistics, including Kendall's tau-a, Somers' D, and median differences. It is available in Stata Version 10 (on SSC), and also in Stata Version 9, on my website, by typing

net from "http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/stata9/";

and downloading the Stata 9 version of -somersd-.

The parameter behind the sign test is a special case of a within-cluster Somers' D. In your case, this Somers' D is the difference between 2 probabilities, namely the probability that the observed value is larger than the expected value and the probability that the expected value is larger than the observed value. The -somersd- package can estimate this parameter, with confidence limits. And it can also estimate (with confidence limits) the median difference between the paired observed and expected values, which is also a parameter behind the sign test. An example of the use of the -cendif- module of the -somersd- package on paired data appears in Subsection 3.2 of the -cendif- manual, downloadable from my website (see my signature below) at
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers/cendif.pdf

The sign test is often not very powerful, as the confidence limits for the underlying parameters are often wide. I have long argued that a more powerful alternative for paired data might be the Von Mises Somers' D and the Von Mises median difference, which compare all observed values with all expected values (as with the 2-sample ranksum test), and have confidence intervals adjusted for the fact that the data are paired. This point is also discussed in Subsection 3.2 of the -cendif- manual.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any queries.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics