Re: st: if not iffing in ado

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: if not iffing in ado
Date   Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:18:30 +0100

Paul,

please always include where you got user written commands from when
posting to the list. The -swapval- I found is by Nick Cox and can be
found on ssc. Note that -swapval-'s [in] syntax is non-standard.

Now, I'm not sure what you want to achieve with your if statement.
Your syntax reads

syntax [if]

but then you don't make use of `if' anywhere in your program. Later
you test it with

local s=1
swap if `s' ==1

However, this is not going to work for two reasons:
a) you didn't make use of `if' in your program;
b) `s' is a local and not a variable. (You are confusing the if
qualifier with the -if- programming command).

So, here is a solution:

program swap
 version 10
 syntax [if]
 swapval iud1 iud2 `if'
 swapval r1 r2 `if'
 swapval se1 se2 `if'
end

Test it:

gen x = uniform()
swap if x > 0.5

If you want to use the -if- programming command:

local s = 1
if `s' == 1 {
   swap
}