RE: st: fixed effects for unbalanced panel

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: fixed effects for unbalanced panel
Date   Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:32:49 -0400

///

Yes, Stata does that. We discussed with Mark that in the post mentioned
by Austin Nichols and also you could check the minimum number of
observations by groups in the examples of -xtreg, fe- in the manuals.
Best regards, Rodrigo.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Deepak Hegde
Enviado el: Martes, 07 de Octubre de 2008 10:57 a.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: RE: st: fixed effects for unbalanced panel

It appears to me that areg/xtreg, in addition to not adjusting the
observations to account for singletons, is estimating the within
regressions with a bunch of zeros in X and Y (demeaning groups with only
one observation should yield zeros in X and Y).  This affects both the
slope and intercept of the regression line and can lead to coefficients
(not just S.E.) substantially different from the ones obtained by
explicitly dropping single-occurring observations from the fixed effects
regression.

Can someone please confirm if I am right in my thinking about how Stata
is treating single observation groups?  Thank you!