Re: st: mean tests an fweight

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mean tests an fweight
Date   Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:09:10 -0400

You should -svyset- you data to properly account for the sampling design. Information about the probability weights (pweights, not fweights) to use, the strata, if any, and "primary sampling units" will be in the survey documentation. Be warned that the options for - svyset- may not be simple. If you have successfully -svyset- your data, suppose "gender" is your group variable

The command: xi: svy: reg income i.gender

will do the survey equivalent of a t-test.

If the survey concepts in my first sentence are unfamiliar, find a good book a survey sampling (first choice: Sharon Lohr, 1999, Sampling: Design and Analysis. Duxbury Press; second: Lemeshow & Levy: Sampling of Populations, 3rd Edition, Wiley, which has Stata examples. I also recommend the Stata survey pages at UCLA: http:// www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/topics/Survey.htm

-Steve