Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable

Subject   Re: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:06:13 +0200

Not what I want, but what Ashim initally complained about. My idea was to have this done with only temps, but your code is obviously much more elegant. It is also easy to see how one could generalize this and throw it into a -program- if Ashim absolutely wants this capability...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 8:01 PM
Subject: RE: st: Re: saving memory local vs usual variable

If that's what you want.

Martin Weiss

loc absmax=max(`max', r(max))

at the end of your code to get this into a -local- then?

Nick Cox

Not the main point, perhaps, but there is a much more direct way to do
this.

sysuse auto, clear
su price, meanonly
local max = r(max)
su trunk, meanonly
di max(`max', r(max))
Martin Weiss
Well, -egen- does not take more than one variable because usually that
is
what users want: either the -max- of a variable or the max across
columns,
which -egen- also supports with the -rowmax- option. If you want the
maximum
of two vars for whatever reason:

sysuse auto, clear

tempvar prmax trmax overallmax

egen `prmax'=max(price)
egen `trmax'=max(trunk)
egen `overallmax'=rowmax(`prmax' `trmax')
su `overallmax',mean
loc max=r(max)

di in red `max'

Ashim Kapoor

On 2nd thought.

egen j=max(x) DOES NOT take more than one variable.

It is gen which can do the max of 2 or more variables.

So since egen returns a variable with ONE constant value, it would
seem that it should be allowed to be stored in a scalar / local
macro.